I can't believe she'll be two weeks on Friday!
Although I feel at least a few years older by now!
The first night we had her home I was a good little text book mommy and got her up every 2-3 hours to feed her. She would get really ticked off and fall asleep relentlessly during every other feeding. So I took her cues and let her wake me up the next night. We both got more sleep.
I felt so lucky to have such a sleeping babe. Then momma got a wake up call.
-Hey, Momma...
-Yes, baby?
-It's only gonna be like this every few nights.
-That's ok, I understand you're still learning about life... and so am I!
-No, you don't understand, Momma. It'll be utterly awful for you when it's not blissfully great. You'll cry uncontrollably and feel like you won't ever be able to meet my needs. Not to mention it'll make you incredibly jealous when Dad waltzes in and picks me up and I become silent wonder-baby again! There will be relief from it, no doubt, but will add bountifully to your feelings of inadequacy.
-Oh, Aspen, dear. It won't be that bad. You're a wonderful, gorgeous baby that I wouldn't trade for the world!
-Ok, Momma. I tried warning you...
*Cue the colicky (luckily it's only intermittent), nocturnal baby's entrance.
It's been trying to say the least. Who said it wouldn't be, right? I now understand why maternity leave is so important.
And what about those hormones? They weren't this bad during pregnancy... well, there was Thanksgiving day... but one day out of 38 weeks (I'm sure Jerrad would change that number, but who's counting?) isn't bad! This is almost constant, and I'm ready for that part to be over almost more than the sleepless nights. I feel they would be more bearable without the hormones. But there is the exhaustion factor in there too.
I know I will be back to normal - err - a new normal soon.
And did I mention she is amazing?!
Wow!
I have never seen a more beautiful baby! Seriously, my heart swells so much every time I go to check on her. I see that perfect face and I just wanna sit and stare at her. Her nose is A-DOR-A-BLE!!! Those lips? Nothing but edible! Her hands only get more precious when they clasp my finger. She makes the most adorable faces and has started smiling in her sleep. Oh, I can't wait for her to smile at me for real!
Jerrad is such a great dad! He walks around the house holding her and singing to her. What does he sing to her? You name it! If he can't think of something, he makes it up. One of his favorites is "Cowgirl Don't Cry" and - all hormones aside - I cry every time I hear that song! And I almost lost it the first time I heard him sing it to her. He does have an uncanny ability to calm her. Probably has something to do with the same things that make him calm me! He is such a rock for me and I couldn't be happier seeing him be that for her already!
We have our second doctor's appointment tomorrow. Hopefully she will have gained back what she lost in her first week. She was only down a few ounces. She is a slow eater (kinda like her momma was) so I have had to learn to take our time with feedings.
Well, speaking of eating, I must do so while I have the chance. No new pictures yet, (*gasp) but I will have soon. Hopefully some Christmasy ones!
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Life with Aspen...
Composed by Lyssa at 1:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Welcome little Aspen! and Welcome Alyssa to the world of motherhood. I know all too well the hormones and emotions you are describing. The best advice I can give is try to nap, rest and relax. When we don't have that and are running on fumes, our emotions are even crazier and it's difficult to not go bonkers. You're body does adjust, you will lose your memory just don't forget where you put your baby :)
We need some pictures of that baby girl!! I want to see her!
You are doing so good and are very real about the whole thing! Love you bunches! You are doing GREAT!
Post a Comment