Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Aspen - 14 months


This girl brings so much joy to our lives everyday!  Everyone around her watches in anticipation for her smile because it will undoubtedly light up the room.  What a wonderful privilege we have to be her parents!

She isn't walking on her own but we can persuade her to walk back and forth to us.  That is unless she decides to fall face first and let us catch her.  In that case she would much rather play that game.  So there are times that instead of practicing walking, she just stands there, grins really big then purposely leans forward to feel the rush of falling only to be scooped up by an adoring bystander then giggles uncontrollably!

One of her other favorite things is feeding me while I'm feeding her.  A lot of times I'll put her in her highchair with a snack while I get her meal ready.  When I sit down next to her to feed her she has a few snacks left so she puts them in my mouth as I spoon her food into her mouth.

Oh, the music she'll play!  This girl loves music! We sit her in her Bumbo seat on top of piano bench and let her "play the piano" almost everyday.  She loves it and will often "sing along."  With every little thing in this house that has some kind of sequenced pitches, she dances.  Whether it be the music I have playing, a toy that has music or even my washer/dryer chime.  (I have front-loading LGs that chime a tune when they finish instead of that annoying BUZZ!)

Speaking of laundry, she also enjoys standing in front of the washer and dryer and "singing" to the clothes as they go round and round.  She does this several times a day.  Now if I could just get her to fold the clothes when they come out of the dryer! =)

Bath time is an instant spirit lifter for her.  She doesn't need toys, just a cup and a washcloth are plenty of entertainment!  Her new favorite bath time game is splashing.  She will slap her hands on the water and give a little chuckle.  Then she'll splash a really big one and look at you expectantly.  To play her game you must then act like you got splashed unexpectedly.  Once you do this the giggles erupt!

Jerrad and I are also doing well.  We have no excitement in our lives alone anymore.  It's all her and we can't imagine our life pre-Aspen!

It is, however, getting really busy on the farm.  It's February and that means calving season for us.  We had our first calves on Monday.  A first-calf heifer dropped twins all on her own!  We are very proud of her and her little ones, a bull and a heifer! We are working on names for them.  We usually only name a few here and there.  Like I told my SIL, when you have over a hundred calves in less than 2 months, it's hard to name all of them! 

Here's a little biology lesson for you. When there are bovine twins born, if they are bull+bull they are both fertile.  If they are heifer+heifer both are fertile.  But if they are born bull+heifer the bull is fertile but the heifer will be sterile.  Interesting, you think?

The weather is also warming up and that means spring is on it's way.  We are getting pastures fenced for new arrivals and unfenced from cows and heifers being out all winter.  Jerrad is busy getting machinery ready to hit the fields and penciling chemical, fertilizer and fuel figures.  This time of year also brings the joy and dread of counting down the days until Kitty leaves for camp.  We love that she is able to be a part of such an awesome ministry and yet we hate her being gone for so long.  We are praying that this spring brings a lot of moisture (In the right forms too! No hail or floods please!).  We didn't get the snow that much of the country did this winter so we are still pretty dry.  The wheat is starting to come out of its dormancy and needs a little drink.

I'm really trying to make myself blog at least twice every week.  Maybe I'll be better about keeping you all informed so that updates don't have to be this lengthy.  Ah, who am I kidding?  No matter how often I do it, I'll still manage to make it long!

0 comments: