I finally got on Youtube the other day and started looking up videos of the concert. We don't have TV so I had to catch it on the internet. I will put a disclaimer on this of, I probably didn't get to see all of what was on the show simply because I caught it on Youtube rather than watching the entire show. But either way here is my opinion!!
First of all, John Rich is from Amarillo?! Who knew! Well, besides the fact that I haven't been in the panhandle for almost 7 years (including college time) and I'm sure they let everyone know. But seriously, that is awesome! I did laugh, literally, out loud when he said that he was listening to 98.7 KMML. I'm sure the people at 96.9 KMML had a heyday with that one! Ha!
Jack Ingram did an awesome rendition of "All my Exes" I LOVED it, but it still seemed like a disgrace to what George had made it. Jamie Foxx can get away with totally redoing a song because he isn't actually trying to make it as a country star. It was like JI was trying to say that he could do it better. I realize that each of these people were trying to put their own flair on George's songs, but you are still paying tribute to him as an artist!
Taylor Swift... Let me start by saying, "What in the world?!" Is she trying to be a country star or a fairy princess? Yes, I am one of two (the other being Candice) people in this world that doesn't like Taylor Swift. Her choice in style has NOTHING to do with country music. Whether it be her style in clothes, or her music. And didn't she record a song with the lyrics, "I'm not a princess, this aint a fairy tale...?" Take your own advice Taylor, get a pair of Cruel Girls and some Fat Babies and maybe you can convince people that you want to sing country music.
And how does one like TS get to do a bit for George Strait's concert anyway? Did George pick these people, or did the billboards? She hasn't even been alive for all of his career! I have barely been alive for all of his career. Anyway...
The graphics were GREAT behind each artist on stage. I thought they all represented the songs very well. It also represented GS very well! He is a true Texan artist that makes me swell with pride for my home state!
All in all it was very good music, very entertaining. They highlighted some of my very favorite songs in country music. However, I must say that as good as the music was, I think we all know now why George Strait recorded those songs! =)
Where else but country music can all the stars gather 'round to honor one star and it be like a glitzy backyard concert with all of the "stars" in the crowd singing along every word to every song? It was like they were just a bunch of fans out there in really fancy clothes! I loved that! None of them were so stuck on themselves and their own music that they couldn't let loose and sing along with King George's music!
All along though, I was kinda thinking to myself, "Ya know, in this tribute to George Strait and his music, I really want to hear HIM!!!" Well, I got my wish and he sang 2 songs... not as good as I would've liked but I get the point of the concert. I'll just get on Zune.com and make sure I have all of his music and have a Troubadour tribute in my house!
Saturday, June 13, 2009
George Strait Artist of the Decade Concert
Composed by Lyssa at 10:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Me and Abby are Taylor Swift Fans! IMO, and yes I respect yours, she's an amazing artist for being so young. She writes so many of her own songs *if not all of them* And I think because she is young she can be girly and dress like a fairytale princess *with her cowgirl boots*
But who's to say that she doesn't dress more cowgirl on her downtime? Besides, she is from Pennsylvania. I think being country is a matter of the heart. Heck Kid Rock claims to be country at heart but he's not wearing wrangles and a cowboy hat.
All in all it's fun music about daydreaming as a young girl. Who hasn't experienced that?
Post a Comment